Hey friends! How was your weekend? We didn’t do much- a little work for me and the hubs, a lot of fighting for the kids- they are at that age where they just annoy the heck out of each other and it’s so frustrating! and some binge watching of Homeland for us (the series we’ve moved onto now that our beloved Parenthood has ended). It’s off to a good start so I am exciting that will be our new weekend show!
I can’t believe the next Holiday is quickly approaching…we all know Valentine’s Day is just an excuse to eat chocolate. Hehe. You know I’m right!
Well speaking of chocolate, it’s been a while since I made a mug cake and I thought I’d experiment with making a gluten free version.
Since I have big ol’ bulk-size bags of coconut and almond flour I started there. This little gem of a mug cake can be made and cooked in just a few minutes and is full of healthy ingredients- almond flour, coconut flour, egg and chocolate to name a few. There is no added fat because between all the other ingredients I found there to be enough fat and moisture!
Even though the flours I used are much healthier alternatives to regular all-purpose flour, they are still calorie dense. While I am not a calorie counter at all, I had to add up this mug cake and it really has too many calories for one person, and luckily it’s plenty for two people (in fact it was enough for my 3 little kids to share).
My kids were quite fascinated that a they saw liquid batter turn into a cake in 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave. It’s like a fun science experiment and dessert all in one!
I just loooooove those giant bittersweet Ghiardelli chips. So good.
Not so pretty when it’s done puffing up in the microwave, but once you cut into it and the chocolate oozes out, it’s a beautiful thing. You can also top it with dusted cocoa powder or whipped cream for presentation purposes, but chances are if you are making a microwave cake it’s not going to be for presentation purposes!
You know you want a bite!
This gluten free mug cake will make a nice sweet treat for Valentine’s day if you don’t feel like “baking” anything but want dessert. Have a great Monday everyone!
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 tablespoon brown rice flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup vanilla almond or soy milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons chocolate chips (I used bittersweet Ghirardelli)
- In a small bowl combine dry ingredients. In the same bowl, add egg, milk and vanilla. Stir well with a whisk until batter is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Spray mug with cooking spray and pour batter in. Microwave for 1 minute to 1½ minutes (for my microwave it was exactly 1 minute 25 sections). Do not over-cook. The middle might still look a little undercooked but that's ok. Grab a spoon and enjoy!