I love Holiday baking. I don’t know why it’s so much more fun than baking any other time of year. I suppose the excitement of the Holidays is in the air, Christmas music is playing (well maybe not quite yet), we are thinking about the time we’ll spend with our loved ones. It’s a magical time of year.
Today I am sharing a cookie recipe, Christmas Chocolate Drops, that features DOVE® dark chocolate. The reason this recipe appealed to me is it only calls for 1/3 cup of flour and a greater quantity of chocolate and nuts. I could tell it would be chewy, chocolaty and nutty and a little different than your typical chocolate cookie. I think my biggest issue was deciding which nut to use! I went with walnuts because I think walnuts and chocolate is one of my favorite combos. I needed a treat to take to a friend’s house this weekend so the timing to try it was perfect.
I’ve always loved DOVE® Dark’s unique taste- it’s so smooth and creamy, not bitter or brittle like some dark chocolate. DOVE® uses specially selected cocoa beans to deliver its signature taste and unique silky smooth texture.
DOVE® is committed to producing quality chocolate from “bean to bar.” I am also a fan of DOVE® because it sources 100% of its cocoa for its Dark Chocolate products from Rainforest Alliance Certified Farms. You can tell this by the “little green frog seal” on each package. Rainforest Alliance Certified farms meet several environmental and labor standards, which is good for the environment and cocoa farmers around the world.
I had a hard time not eating the chocolate straight out of the bag, but since the recipe called for the whole bag of chocolate, I knew I had to display some self-control. Unwrapping all those wrappers for this recipe might seem tedious but each one has a unique message inside. I was totally entertained reading each one. Since this recipe makes a good amount, about 3 dozen cookies, I was not only able to share with friends but even managed to freeze a small amount to add to Santa’s Christmas cookie tray!
When my son saw the amount of nuts going into the mix he was a little disappointed (my kids prefer nut-free desserts), but he ended up begging me for more. He LOVES chocolate like his mama and these are super rich, delicate, yet chewy and almost brownie-like in flavor. In a nutshell, absolute delicious. My kind of cookie for sure.
If you want to stay connected with DOVE® you can visit their Facebook page. Happy Holiday baking!
- 1 bag DOVE® PROMISES® Dark Chocolate
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 cups chopped nuts: such as walnuts, pecans or toasted almonds
- 2 cookie sheet pans
- Foil paper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line the sheet pans with foil and set aside.
- Melt half of the DOVE® PROMISES® Dark Chocolate with the butter in the top of a double boiler until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, roughly chop the remaining chocolate and set aside.
- To make the batter, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a small bowl, set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and light yellow, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour mixture and cooled chocolate and beat for 1 minute. Fold in the remaining chopped DOVE® PROMISES® Dark Chocolate and nuts.
- Drop tablespoons of batter onto the prepared cookie sheet pans about 2 inches apart. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until just firm. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes before removing from the cookie sheet pans.
Share the Joy with Dove®. Go to BrightIdeas for recipes using DOVE® PROMISES® Dark Chocolate and DOVE® Silky Smooth Dark Chocolate Bar. Click. Create. Celebrate.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mars®. The opinions and text are all mine.