Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Mushrooms are simple yet gourmet, perfect for when you want grown-up flavors in a classic sandwich for any meal of the day.
Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Mushrooms are the adult version of an old classic. A simple sauté of mushrooms adds an extra bite and a little earthy flavor.
I am a sucker for grilled cheese and I am not picky on the kind. I might even encourage my kiddos to get them off the kid’s menu so I can steal a few bites.
This is not your classic version, but it’s pretty tasty. Anytime goat cheese is added, it’s going to be better in my opinion.
I quickly sautéed some mushrooms- that took all of 4-5 minutes. Then I was ready to assemble my sandwiches, using really good whole grain bread from the bakery. The flavor of goat cheese really stands out, but I used a little cream cheese to help hold it all together.
To avoid using too much butter, I just melt a small amount in the skillet and place the sandwich in. Then when I flip, I add a little more. When I butter the bread directly, I add a lot more just to get it even spread so this method works to keep the fat at a moderate level.
And good news for you non-mushroom lovers- swap another veggie like bell peppers, arugula, thinly sliced tomato. Anything will work just give it a similar seasoning and you’re good to go.
Sandwiches are such a life saver aren’t they? Easy to make and customize, portable and convenient. Let me know if you try it!
For other sandwich recipes try:
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Pesto
- Salmon Salad BLT
- Curried Chicken Salad
- Grilled Cheese with Pesto and Tomato
- Portobello “Philly Cheese Steak” Sandwich
- 4 slices whole grain bread, preferably from the bakery
- 2 cup raw sliced mushrooms
- 1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- pinch of salt and pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- 2-3 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter
- In a skillet, heat a teaspoon of olive oil to medium heat. Add mushrooms, sauté for 2 minutes. Add fresh thyme, season with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes or until tender. Transfer to a plate or bowl lined with a paper towel to absorb the juices. Wipe out skillet and place back over medium heat.
- Assemble sandwiches: spread a light layer of cream cheese on one slice of bread ~1 tablespoon.
- Top with 1 to 1½ ounces of goat cheese pieces. Top with ¼ cup of sautéed mushrooms. Place another slice of bread on top. Add a little butter (~1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon) the skillet. Place sandwiches in the butter and grill for ~2 minutes or until golden brown. Lift sandwiches out to a plate, add a little more butter (1/2 to 1 teaspoon), flip the sandwiches and cook the other side for ~2 minutes or until lightly browned.