Last week in the midst of unpacking, I decided I was tired of the same ol’ quick and easy dinner (i.e. bean & cheese tacos, sandwiches). I had already unpacked my crockpot which I’ve probably only used a few times before and decided I wanted a crockpot meal. I wanted to throw stuff in the pot, walk away, continue unpacking and come back in the evening with a hot meal waiting for me. Mission accomplished.
I am sure you have all experienced the feeling before. Wanting a hot meal without having to work to get it? If you know what I mean, then you might want to invest in a crockpot. I can honestly say I lack experience using it, but think I will branch out more, maybe try a roast chicken next!
So back to this meal, I decided on chicken chili because I had all the ingredients that I thought would work. It ended up being a darn good week night meal. Luckily we had already done one shopping trip so I literally threw this together in minutes.
After it’s been cooking on low for about 6 hours, you’ll remove the chicken and it will be so tender that you can literally touch it with a fork and it will fall apart. Once you shred it, toss it back into the chili and keep it on warm until you’re ready to eat.
You seriously can’t beat having a hot meal by doing nothing at all. Now this recipe calls for quite a few canned items so this is the perfect meal for someone who 1) wants a hot meal on the table for dinner but doesn’t have the time to do any prep work and/or 2) doesn’t have a lot of fresh ingredients on hand. I made sure to use a few low sodium cans to keep the overall salt content down.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano & garlic, no added salt, slightly drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chili, slightly drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, drained slightly
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ package taco seasoning
- 1 lb thinly sliced chicken breasts
- Toppings: shredded cheese, avocado, chopped cilantro, low fat sour cream, pico de gallo
- Mix all ingredients in slow cooker (onion through taco seasoning). Place chicken breasts on top, covering slightly with chili mixture.
- Cook for 6 hours on low. Remove chicken breasts, shred. Add chicken back to slow cooker and keep on warm until ready to serve. Ladle into bowls and serve with cheese, avocado, pico de gallo, sour cream and/or cilantro.
Nutritious Eats Benefits: low fat, high fiber, lycopene, protein, vitamin A and C.