When I followed the vegan diet for a week I was craving sweets in a bad way. I mean, I am pregnant and I need chocolate. However, I was good and avoided pretty much anything sweet until day 6 when I couldn’t take it anymore. I stared into our pantry hoping that something animal-free would jump out at me for dessert. I came up with these treats and I’m hooked….and they aren’t really that sweet with the only added sweetener being 1/4 cup syrup per batch, you can definitely feel good about eating these or giving them to your kids as snacks.
5 simple ingredients including some vegan basics- oatmeal and peanut butter. I will be making these on a weekly basis for a healthy treat for me and the kids…oh and of course my peanut butter-loving husband. LOVE them. Surprisingly one treat is very satisfying. Especially with a cup of soy milk. Yum.
There is another treat I make similar to these (more of a dessert though) that uses rolled oats, however the quick cooking oats work best with this one. They combine well with the peanut butter creating a “peanut butter cookie” flavor. Best part- NO BAKING required!!
Enjoy these simple oatmeal peanut butter balls for a quick satisfying snack!
- ⅔ cup peanut butter (I use ⅓ cup creamy and ⅓ cup chunky)
- 1 cup quick cooking oats, uncooked
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 full graham crackers, finely crushed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Stir well with a spoon. Once mixture starts coming together, use your hands to work the mixture until it's all combined (it helps to spray hands with cooking spray first because it is sticky).
- Divide peanut butter mixture with your hands into four equal sections (you will make 3 balls out of each section). Spoon out a heaping Tablespoon and roll in hands to form a 1½" ball (use more cooking spray on hands if mixture is too sticky). Place all peanut butter balls on a plate, cover and refrigerate for a couple hours. Store in refrigerator.