I hope you all had a great weekend! I know after my last post you are all waiting in suspense to find out the results of my foot’s xray and I am happy to say that I do not have a fracture and am half way through my rest period! It was actually a good weekend to skip the long group run as it was chilly, rainy and the kids had early soccer games. I am so curious if I will feel ready to run at the end of this week. I guess we will see!?
So the recipe for today- polenta bruschetta. I’ll have to admit I am pretty indifferent about polenta. I have had it before where I loved it, but more times than not it just doesn’t do much for me. I tend to always keep a tube of it in the pantry even though I don’t cook with it often.
I thought a bruschetta-type topping would be great on the polenta rounds. Nothing too crazy, just good simple clean flavors. It was great. I would totally make this again. This vegan, gluten-free dish could be served alongside a big salad for a vegetarian meal or as a side along some grilled chicken. It’s a lower carbohydrate choice for a side dish as it has 15 grams per serving (approximately 3-4 round pieces).
I just pan fried the polenta rounds in a little olive oil, then made the tomato topping afterwards in the same skillet. Easy and yummy!
I am back to meal planning. I have to laugh at myself because I basically can’t go grocery shopping without a meal plan. My husband always suggests we “run in” after church to get groceries and I explain to him that if the meal plan is not done, I will not go shopping. It’s just a mess if I do.
Giant Salad with assorted veggies, roasted chicken and gorgonzola
Pesto Veggie Paninis, Baked Butternut Squash Fries
Chicken Fajitas, Crockpot Black Beans
Chicken Lettuce Wraps (knock-off PF Changs recipe)
Friday or Saturday
I might switch days around but this is the plan for now! I’d love to hear what YOU’RE having. Just leave your plan in the comment section!
Hope you all have a great week and you have until 12pm central standard time today to enter the giveaway for a Bestowed Box!
- ½ tube (18 ounce) pre-cooked organic polenta, cut into ¼ to ½ inch thick slices
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1½ cup grape tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
- salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves
- balsamic vinegar
- Heat nonstick skillet on medium-low. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add polenta to pan and cook for 5 minutes on one side, flip and cook additional 4-5 minutes.
- Remove polenta to a paper towel-lined plate. Place skillet back on the burner, add another teaspoon of oil, turn skillet down to low heat, add whole grape tomatoes and saute for ~5-6 minutes or until tomatoes start to soften.
- Add minced shallots and garlic and saute an additional 2 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let tomatoes sit in hot pan for another couple minutes until most have softened and lost their firm shape.
- Transfer tomato mixture to a bowl, stir in 2 teaspoons olive oil and chopped basil. Spoon tomato mixture evenly over polenta rounds. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar to finish and serve warm.